Noise Phobias: Pet Fears of Blasts – Acts
Noise Phobias: Pet Fears of Blasts – Acts- Behavior Series 7: A loud buzz or irritating noise creates a very uncomfortable situation for a pet that has a noise phobia. For example these loud explosions can include: fireworks, gunshots, and thunderstorms (to name a few). Animals with noise anxieties can display a wide range of despair actions such as: foaming from the mouth, quivering, destruction, hiding, barking, escape attempts, panting, pacing, accidental defecation and urination. Be sure to consult with your Veterinarian for an accurate diagnosis since other problems may exist such as pain, metabolic diseases and separation anxiety share the same analytic signs of commotion aversions. If your pet was determined to have a phobia disorder, consider the following:
Things to do to prevent noise phobias to affect your pet:
- Stay at home with your pet during predicable turbulence events.
- Make sure your pet wears current identification tags and is also chipped.
- During clamor situations:
- Stay calm
- Provide a sound-insulated, protected, and secure space for your loved one in your home.
- Try to play music to muffle out problematic noises such as a steady beat or white noise.
- Practice giving your best friend some treats, favorite toy, or play an orderliness game.
- Acclimate or make the noises less sensitive:
- Buy or create recordings of ambiguous noises.
- Form habits to practice (5-10 minute) coaching & training sessions.
- Begin by playing recorded noises back at a safe, low volume and pair the noises with training & instruction with treats to reward behavior.
- If your pets show you relaxed behavior at the low volume, increase the volume at a slow pace. Repeat the steps again, reward your pets actions.
- Continue gradually increasing the noise volume over numerous periods.
- Never let your dog get excited or agitated during these meetings.
- Hire our professional dog watchers near you.
- Consider consulting with a trainer to discuss therapy options to relieve fear/anxiety. Examples of these are Thunder Shirts, Storm Defender Capes, pheromones, and mild drugs.
Things to avoid with noise phobias:
- Do not punish your pet. This will not help your beloved family member, and may trigger increased anxiety or bring about aggression.
- Exposure to precarious noises.