Puppy Hazards: Physical & Ingestion Dangers Video Series 4
Puppy Hazards Physical & Ingestion Dangers: Congrats, and best wishes with your new puppy! Preparing your home is important when bringing home your new loved one. The safety of your pet as well as your family is great. Remember your puppy only has a few inches off the ground, so when considering a safe area, consider your pups world from that perspective. Here are essential tips to think about when puppy-proofing your home.
Puppy Hazards- Physical Dangers:
- Furniture: Your beloved puppy can easily fall off chairs and couches. They can be pinned under a recliner or rocking chair. Pets should be watched while on furniture.
- Electrical wires: Please keep away from wires, as they can be chewed on and pose a risk of electrocution.
- Tie up cords for blinds: They can get wrapped around the neck and limbs. They can cause trauma.
- Stairs: Are easy to fall down or trip other family members. (Baby gates are often effective blocks).
- Any standing water, such as swimming pools or toilet bowls. Be sure to close your toilet bowl lids and supervise your swimming pool area.
Puppy Ingestion Dangers / Hazards:
Puppies put anything and everything in their mouths. Small items and objects, liquids, and baby items pose the biggest threat. Common items pets ingest include:
- Items in the kitchen and bathroom trash.
- Clothes (socks, undergarments, pantyhose).
- Fish hooks, fishing gear, needles, coins, office supplies, rubber bands, hair ties.
- Kids toys, especially stuffed animals.
- Pet toys; not all pet toys are safe for every pet.
- Litter boxes: Cat feces will make your dog sick as well as run the risk of intestinal parasites.
- Household garage cleaners, toilet bowl sanitizers, paints, varnishes, drain openers, batteries, car anti-freeze, (ethylene glycol can cause death even if a small amount is ingested).
- Rats or snails that were poisoned with rat or snail bait.
- Outdoors: Herbicides, pool water / chemicals, certain mulches and lawn fertilizers.
- Plants: Please identify all plants inside your home and outside. Some plants are very toxic to your pets.
- Cigarettes (including the butts).
- Table scraps:
- Chocolate, grapes, and raisons are examples of toxic foods for pets.
- Any human food could lead to vomiting, diarrhea, or even a more serious gastrointestinal problem like pancreatitis.
- – Always ask your veterinarian before giving your pet any meds you may have at home
- – Child proof containers can easily be chewed through.
- – Vitamins and supplements in excess can be toxic.
- Insect bites and stings
- Holiday decorations:
- Tinsel, ornaments, tree water, climbing trees, decorations, and holiday candy.
You should be calling your veterinarian if you believe your pet may have ingested an abnormal substance. If your pet does get into something potentially poisonous or harmful, it is very important that your pet gets treated at your vet as soon as possible.
Puppy Hazards / Dangers- Signs to look for:
- Decreased appetite, increased water intake, excessive salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, skin redness, seizures, limping, crying, or any other sign that your pet is not acting themselves. There is specific information your vet needs in case your loved one got into anything:
- Any package that lists the active and inactive ingredients in the product.
- When the problem occurred.
- How much of the item your pet could have gotten into.
If you have questions about items in your house or pets health, contact the nearest vet. For after hours care, call 1-888-426-4435 to begin consult with ASPCA.