November is National Manatee Awareness Month! While we have yet to offer our services to a manatee owner (because it’s not at all legal to own them), we love them all the same. To celebrate, let’s learn a bit more about the gentle giant!
The 5 Ultimate Facts about Manatees
- Manatees are relatives to the elephant and make their homes mostly along the coastline from Florida to Brazil.
- If you remember, though, we did spot one in the Delaware not too long ago…
- Manatee lungs are remarkable. They can hold their breath for up to 20 minutes at a time and replace 90 percent of the air in their lungs they breathe in a single breath. To compare that to human abilities, we replace about 10 percent!
- Hundreds of years ago, explorers in North American waters believed they saw mermaids when in all likelihood it was just a manatee and too much time at sea plus perfect lighting equaled an honest but silly mistake.
- Though manatees don’t have any natural predators, they still need our help. You can contribute to manatee conservation by supporting the Save the Manatee Club or the Florida Manatee Program!